Wholesale Florists will hear this statement over and over. “Please give me credit!” A statement such as this won’t be music to anyone’s ears. In fact, it will be like listening to your least favorite song. This means that the customer is not satisfied with the product provided. Nobody likes credits but it is an unavoidable part of selling natural products.
Gay Smith of Chrysal USA tells us in SAF’s Floral Management about various reason why people may ask for credits.
1. Mechanical Damage: This can stem from the shipping process. Sometimes, a delivery driver might be too harsh on the packages of flowers or they may leave a package outside in adverse weather for too long.
2. Bud and leaf abscission: The detachment of leaves and buds is mostly caused by ethylene gas being present. This is an odorless and colorless gas that can be a death sentence to our flowers. If flowers are exposed, symptoms can be petals that shrivel and break off to the to the touch, yellowing foliage, and waning vase lives.
3. Black foliage or brown flower buds: Sometimes flowers may arrive from far locations with an infestation of insects. In this instance, the flowers may be placed in fumigation. Upon arrival, the flowers can have black foliage and brown flower buds as a result.
4. Botrytis: Another name for gray mold. When moisture is present a breeding ground for botrytis occurs. The plant’s petals and stems can become watery looking and transparent. Be careful because this stuff is airborne and can infect other plants in your coolers.
5. Dark outer petals: In regions where ultraviolet rays are stronger, dark outer petals can appear. This specifically occurs in roses. Many people prefer to remove these outer guard petals because they are too dark. Fortunately, the darkness of the petals does not affect the vase life.
Wholesale Florists should be aware of these causes and be able to offer an appropriate credit or replacement flowers. Contact your sales representative immediately if seeking credit. Return products as requested. Here at Main Wholesale Florist we strive to make our customers happy. When our products do not satisfy the needs of our customers, it is our goal to rectify any issues.